Friday, September 30, 2011

Wife vs. Army Wife?



I have read some stuff lately that has really bothered me. And since I have all this time on my hands, I've had time to think about it. I struggle with the label "army girlfriend" or "army wife" on a personal level anyway. But when these young army wives and girlfriends use the term to define themselves, it really makes me wonder about them as individual people. I know many people just use the term as what it simply means, you are married to an army soldier. It doesn't define you. Its not a special club. Its not a cookie cutter mold of who you're supposed to be. And when said to another "army wife" it says it all.
My problem with the term is not only the generalizations that can be made, but the fact that many girls want to use it as a special buzz word, like a secret hand shake for some club. I read something the other day... "I am many things... But most importantly, I am the Girlfriend of a United States Soldier." Well, let me tell you something my friend, I am many things, but "army girlfriend"  isn't at the top of my list.

I'm an individual.
I'm a strong independent women.
I'm a daughter.
I'm a sister.
I'm a niece.
I'm a friend.

I'm a cousin.
I'm an employee.
I'm a co-worker
I'm a friend.

The "I'm an army wife/girlfriend" hat doesn't come on until all of those other commitments are taken care of. I love my boyfriend. It honestly doesn't matter to me if he's a soldier or a teacher or a ph.d physicist. I would love him no matter what.  I'm incredibly proud of the path he's chosen, but his life doesn't define mine. His job may direct our lives, but it doesn't make me who I am. Honestly, his job doesn't even make him who he is. It might dictate his haircut, but not the kind of person he is inside.
I worry about these girls that fight so hard to be "army wives." So what happens when being an "army girlfriend" doesn't work out? What happens when you get a divorce? I've seen far too many people still saying they are a "former army wife." I honestly just don't get it. Is it the drama? Is it the romance that most think our lives consist of? And of course I've seen far to many young girls chase those ACU's. That confuses me the most. So you're dating him just because he's a soldier? Just because he wears a uniform? Let me tell you, I know LOTS of soldiers. And many of them are just scumbags and losers!! Just because he is sporting the uniform and the haircut doesn't make him a stand-up guy. But that's a whole different blog. My point is, be with the guy because you love him and he loves you, not because you want to get on Twitter and label yourself as an Army wife or girlfriend.
Yes, when in conversation, the term speaks volumes. I can tell multiple people i'm an army girlfriend, but they still know nothing about ME. And so I struggle with labeling myself that. Even struggled naming my blog that. But I have two blogs. Did you know that? I have another blog just for ME and my non-army girlfriend life. Because I need somewhere to forget about all the stupid Army jargon that's been thrown at me for the last year. I need a place where I can be a daughter and a sister and a dog lover without the weird overtones and connotations of being labeled an Army girlfriend.

I really don't mean to offend anyone. It's just an observation that I've made over the last few months. I want these young women to take value in their lives outside of their mans career and haircut...


No comments:

Post a Comment