Tuesday, February 7, 2012

ET Phone Home.



When Austin was gone, there was one thing that made our relationship easier. That was the constant, and I mean quite literally glued to my ear, constant presence of my cell phone. Cell phones can cost a fortune, and there were months that my bill was so incredibly high. But me having it meant that no matter where I was or whatever I was doing, if Austin had the opportunity to call, he could call me and we could talk, even if it was only for a couple minutes.




Whenever he could, Austin would call me early in the morning so he could be my alarm clock. He said that if he couldn’t be with me to wake me up, then at least he could be the first person I heard in the morning. It wasn’t a perfect system, but we definitely made the best of it.


Austin always said that for him, talking to me kept him sane and focused and that he needed me and our conversations to get through the days.


It's been my experience that most deployed soldiers call home, or at least their girlfriends, as often as they get the chance. This leads to a whole other set of issues however: the parents. If you, as the girlfriend have a good relationship with the parents, this part is much easier, or so I’m told.



I worked really hard to remind myself whenever I felt whiny about phone time that my grandmothers went through this too...only they didn't have the luxury of any phones. They had to wait weeks and months to hear...not mere days. Kinda put my situation back into perspective.



No comments:

Post a Comment